Find The Perfect Beer With ALL BEER Finder App
Our new friend Alex gave us a shout from across the pond in the UK to let you know about his unique proven method of completely independent beer evaluations and food match recommendations. Check out the details and video below. If you like what you see, please consider donating to the ALL BEER Finder App kickstarter or share this post with someone you know that might be interested in this. If you need help promoting your beer related product or awesome concept, please drop us a line.
allbeerfinder.com is a live website that allows you to search beers to suit your tastes. It’s a bit old, doesn’t list all the beers we’ve evaluated, it’s not pretty and it it’s too shy to share all the information our database contains. However, it works, and gets around 2000 visitors a month but we’re much more ambitious than that…
With your help allbeerfinder.com will be replaced, upgraded and complemented by an all new App to become the best, simplest and most accurate beer search tool there is.
How does it work?
ALL BEER Finder uses a comprehensive and unique beer flavour database, populated with flavour evaluations by highly trained master sommeliers using the distinctive ALL BEER flavour template, developed by Alex Barlow when researching the ALL BEER Guide book.
Alex re-invented the wheel of beer flavour identification and developed a beer evaluation template that identifies flavour characters, intensity and even relative flavour balance.
Each beer results in a minimum of 52 data-points of information, including qualitative information like specific aroma descriptors and suitable food pairings plus quantitative data such as relative intensity of aroma, taste and mouthfeel characteristics, flavour balance and overall Flavour intensity™ (Fi™).
If this sounds super-geeky, it is. But, this means we have great source data to enable our algorithms to select the perfect beer to suit your tastes using simple, intuitive search methods.
Search for beers using one or more of the following unique combination of methods:
- Free type text, e.g. a favourite flavour characteristic, a food you want to pair with, beer brand or even hop type
- % ABV range slider, select your desired alcohol range, e.g. 4-5.5%
- Fi™ range slider, our unique 1-7 Flavour intensity™ scale, 1 = ultra-light, 7 = intense
- Colour range slider, from white, through yellow, gold and amber to red, brown and black
Further ‘Advanced search’ methods include:
- Bitterness range slider, from low bitterness like light lager to high bitterness like IPA
- Balance range slider, from sweet, full or rounded, through balanced to more sour, bitter and challenging
- Style selector. Pick from our list of major Ale, Lager and Lambic sour beer styles
- Format selector. Pick the package formats appropriate to your needs
- Brewery facilities. Find breweries that offer a shop, tap room or food facilities
Why we are different:
ALL BEER Finder is different from other Apps because the beer flavour data is collated by independent evaluation from a highly trained flavour expert using a proven and consistent template (The ALL BEER Flavour Notepad) which collates both descriptive and numerical intensity data for identifiable flavour characters, meaning we have more usable and searchable data, and more methods to search – you search beer your way – by the features that are important to you, including desired food pairings!
Our initial fundraising target for developing the new website and App is a modest £12,000. However, if we exceed this amount, our stretch targets will allow us to add additional features to the App. These will include:
- Geolocation, search local breweries and where to find beers you like
- Ability to favourite beers and add own notes
- Android version of the App
- Style guide and tasting information from the ALL BEER Guide book
- Key project milestones:
- Kickstarter starts
- Kickstarter closes
- Distribute ALL BEER reward items
- Commence development of ALL BEER Management Portal
- Test and approve Commence development of allbeer.co.uk/ allbeerfinder.com websites
- Commence development of ALL BEER Finder App
- Test and approve
- Distribute Beta App- based reward items Review and revise
- Final approval launch new allbeer.co.uk and ALL BEER Finder App
- £5 (c.$7.50) – ‘Thank You’ email with ALL BEER digital wallpaper designs
- £10 (c.$15) – Beta version of the App with ‘Thank You’ email & ALL BEER digital wallpaper designs
- £20 (c.$30) – Limited Edition 1/250 ‘I Kickstarted ALL BEER Finder App’ T-shirt
- £30 (c.$45) – ALL BEER Experience
- £40 (c.$60) – One-of-a-kind ‘I Kickstarted ALL BEER Finder App’ T-shirt. Each shirt displays one of the 25 different beer styles presented in the ALL BEER Guide book
- £50 (c.$75) – ALL BEER Experience-for-2
- £100 (c.$150) – ALL BEER Tasting Party Pack
- £200 (c.$300) – Beer Academy/ ALL BEER day course gift certificate
- £500 (c.$755) – Silver-level Sponsor (items as listed above)
- £1,000 (c.$1,510) – Gold-level Sponsor (items as listed above)
Risks and challenges
Over and above the challenge of creating intuitive searches for all our great data and presented it in the clearest way possible, the principle risks and challenges are related to the website and app developers meeting the timelines stated. As many of the designs are already developed the most time consuming portion will be programming the algorithms which mine the information from the database. However, as we have a functioning website, there is a good basis to work from and improve.