Craft Beer Power Rankings 1-17-14
We are back with the Craft Beer Power Rankings for the third week of January. We attempt to rank the five most buzzworthy beers via observation on social media and large online beer communities such as RB and BA. Do you have a different five in mind, list them below in the comment section. Cheers!
5. Samuel Adams Rebel IPA – We predicted Samuel Adams would have to enter the “West Coast IPA” game to appease their shareholders, and we were correct. Lagunitas’ founder Tony McGee is none too happy, and has been quite vocal about this in various traditional media outlets, but as a result, has put extra spotlight on this new brand from Sam Adams.
4. Pizza Port Swami’s IPA – Legendary San Diego staple Pizza Port has been brewing and serving some of the best beer in the country, on tap only for decades, and this week, has put that gold in cans. While further blurring the lines between themselves and Port Brewing of San Marcos due to packaging similarities, folks can now buy completely sealed up packages of Swami’s, Carlsbad Kronic Amber and Ponto Session IPA, which will help campers, traders and those not willing to kill a 64 oz. growler in a sitting.
3. Bell’s Hopslam – We are still in the middle of Hopslam Season. People are drinking, seeking and offering this beer at a feverish pace. Until Bell’s enters more markets, it will be like this every New Year.
2. The Bruery Mocha Wednesday – Reserve Society/Hoarders Society has begun their new season, and came out swinging with a desirable variant of Black Tuesday named Mocha Wednesday. You guessed it, coffee added to Black Tuesday. Not just any coffee, but famous Costa Mesa, CA Portola Labs Coffee, which has made beers like Naughty Sauce and Beachwood Touvarish extra yummy.
1. Funky Buddha Maple Bacon Coffee Porter – Last weekend, young brewery Funky Buddha Brewing released their wale-tastic small run of Maple Bacon Coffee Porter, in bottles. You can’t even say the beers name without drooling and or smiling, I dare you. We look forward to trying this beer if we can, and if you take a travel to any trading community, you will see this is a highly sought after beer.