Swamp Head Brewery – Beers N Beans Chili Cook-off
Gainesville, FL – Are your beanies not for weenies? Do you make a mean pot of Chuck Norris Oatmeal? Well bring your (swamp) ass kicking recipe down to the brewery and put it all on the line at the 2012 Inaugural Beers N Beans Chili Cook-off at Swamp Head Brewery. It will be a full day of drinking limited and one off Swamp Head beers, listening to music and trying a slew of freshly prepared tasty masterpieces in chili form.
A $5 paid entry will get you a chance to taste and vote on each chili that is entered into the Beers N Beans Chili Cook-off. Non paid entries will have access to all aspects of the event except for the chili and voting.
For paid entries and non paid entries we will have tons of limited beers, casks, corn hole, bocce ball and more… so feel free to come and have a grand ol time even if a bowl of chili and you are not a match made in heaven.
Event Schedule: Saturday, Feb 11th, 2012 – Noon – 6pm
12:00 Doors open
12:30 – 2:30 Chili Consumption and Judging
3:30 – 4:00 Results and Awards Ceremony
4:00 – 6:00 Drink some rare Swamp Head beers, talk about chili, smile, laugh
20 contestants can enter their chili masterpiece by emailing [email protected] and committing to follow the rules:
- Chili will be prepared prior to the event.
- A one hour heating period will take place before the event from 11am to 12pm. Cooks will be provided electricity for heating.
- Chili must be made from scratch: Meaning: Cooking will begin with raw meats, vegetables and spices. No doctored up cans of Hormel please.
- Chili must use a minimum of 6oz of any of Swamp Head’s year round beers in the recipe. (Wild Night, Cottonmouth, Stump Knocker, Midnight Oil or Big Nose)
- Beans, pasta, rice, etc. are approved ingredients for this chili competition.
- Chili must be prepared in a sanitary manner and will be served at your designated area.
- 8 ounces of chili is required to submit for judging by the panel of professional and not-so-professional judges.
- One ounce cups will be provided to each cook to give samples for the people’s choice judging.
- A minimum of one gallon of chili must be prepared for distribution to the attendees.
- The chili prepared for judges should be the same served to the public or risk disqualification.
- Cook must taste his/her chili in front of the judge before submission. Any cook that will not taste his/her chili will be disqualified.
Cooks entering chili will be provided with two pints of any year round Swamp Head beer for consumption during the event.
There are two categories to win: The People’s Choice Award and the Celebrity Judge’s Award. Each category will have a grand prize of five growlers of Swamp Head beer. (One 32oz Growler of each year round beer.)
People’s Choice Award:
The winner of this category will be chosen by a popular vote of all of the visitors to the Chili Cook Off. Each paid entry will receive a ballot with a full list of the chili that has been entered which they will use to vote on their favorite. Most votes wins.
Celebrity Judge’s Award:
The winner will be chosen by a panel of judges from our own Swamp Head team and also a few celebrity judges from around Gainesville. Each judge will rate each chili 1-10. Points will be tallied and again, most points win.