Craft Beer Fights Breast Cancer – Green Flash Debuts 2015 Treasure Chest Beer Program
(San Diego, CA) – Green Flash Brewing Co. co-founders Mike and Lisa Hinkley reveal details of the 2015 “Treasure Chest” program, the craft brewery’s annual beer release and event series to raise funds for breast cancer charities. For the first time, this year’s program will introduce Treasure Chest beer packaged in 22oz bottles to limited national availability. The beer will also be available on-draft in over 24 US states, supported by a dynamic on-premise event program in key cities.
Treasure Chest beer will be available beginning in September through November 2015. On August 29th, Green Flash will kick off the fundraiser by hosting the 5th annual San Diego Treasure Chest Fest – a rare beer and food pairing experience at the brewery. Each year, the San Diego festival offers the first sips of each year’s unique Green Flash Treasure Chest beer – the 2015 edition is a naturally pink IPA with grapefruit and prickly pear juice and hibiscus flowers, and the bright pink pop-art style graphics associated with the program will feature a pin-up inspired, Hawaiian themed “hula gal” to support the tropical ingredients in this year’s beer. Bottles of Treasure Chest beer (22oz) will also feature the program’s iconic branding. In Virginia Beach, Treasure Chest Fest will be replicated for the 2nd year in a plot of land that sits adjacent to the future site of the Green Flash brewery on the east coast (slated to open in 2016). Green Flash will donate a portion of proceeds from the Treasure Chest program to breast cancer charities from coast to coast.
Raising money for the fight against breast cancer is a cause which is near and dear to the hearts of everyone at Green Flash. Brewery Co-Founder and Vice President of Marketing, Lisa Hinkley is a breast cancer survivor and is passionate about helping others whose lives have been affected by this disease. To date, the Treasure Chest program has raised over 150K for breast cancer charities nationally.
“The momentum and excitement for this fundraiser grows stronger with every passing year and in 2015, we have many reasons to celebrate,” exclaims Lisa Hinkley. “I am now 5 years cancer-free and to date, we have raised over 150,000 dollars for regional Breast Cancer charities through our national Treasure Chest program. By securing the support of the beer community, Green Flash fans and our retail partners, I know this year we can exceed our fundraising goals.”
Following are highlights and details of the 2015 Green Flash Treasure Chest national charity program:
Treasure Chest 2015 – National Bottle Debut:
- For the past 5 years, the Treasure Chest program has grown, introducing the annual draft release to more and more US states. This year the brewery is taking things a step further by offering Treasure Chest as a special release, packaged beer. Beginning in September, with availability through November 2015, Treasure Chest will be featured in22oz bottles in select chain retailers nationwide including:
- Total Wine & More, BevMo, Whole Foods, Spec’s and HEB (in Texas), ABC Fine Wine & Spirits (in Florida), HyVee and additional chain as well as independent shops across the country (to be announced).
Treasure Chest 2015 bottles are packaged with the program’s signature pink pin-up-inspired graphics including this year’s Hawaiian themed hula-gal icon
Treasure Chest Fest – Hits the West and East Coasts:
- San Diego Fest: On August 29th, Green Flash will kick off the Treasure Chest initiative with their 5th annual San Diego Treasure Chest Fest. This popular event drawn upwards of 1000 attendees and will serve as the national debut of this year’s pink IPA and will also feature some of the most rare Green Flash beer available, specialty one-off casks, food pairings from local chefs, live culinary demos and more.
- Treasure Chest Fest SD tickets are available via www.eventbrite.com/treasurechestfestsd and all proceeds from this event are donated to Susan G Komen San Diego.
- Virginia Beach Fest: Kicked off last year in Virginia Beach, the event is to be held this year for the 2nd time on a plot of land that sits adjacent to the future site of the Virginia Beach brewery on October 11th 2015.
- Treasure Chest Fest VA Beach tickets are available via eventbrite.com/treasurechestfestvb – 100% of the profits from ticket sales are donated to support Susan G Komen Tidewater.
Treasure Chest Events from Coast To Coast: Beginning in September, and booked through November, Treasure Chest events are scheduled in select US cities in 24 states including Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and Washington. Participating venues in each area will co-host Treasure Chest events ranging from complex beer pairing dinners (many with a luau theme) to high-spirited tap takeovers featuring the rare Treasure Chest 2015 beer and other Green Flash brews. Guests who attend may receive Treasure Chest commemorative items as well as the chance to enjoy this year’s limited Treasure Chest beer release. Consumers can locate an event via greenflashbrew.com
ABOUT THE BEER:
Treasure Chest 2015| IPA with grapefruit and prickly pear juice and hibiscus flowers
Say Aloha to Treasure Chest 2015, an exotic pink IPA brewed with grapefruit, prickly pear juice and hibiscus flowers. Erupting with fruit-forward complexity, 100% Mosaic hops present aromas of heady citrus and refined stone fruit. The pleasantly bitter flavors of the hops are enhanced by the addition of fresh grapefruit juice. Offering balance to offset the bold citrus notes, prickly pear juice imparts a peppery-sweet kick in the finish. Tropical Hibiscus flowers give this beer a naturally pink hue, a nod to the official color of the Treasure Chest mission. 5.7% ABV | 65 IBU
About The Treasure Chest Program:
Established in 2011 by Green Flash Co-Founder and breast cancer survivor Lisa Hinkley, our annual fundraising program raises money to support breast cancer charities. Each year, we introduce an exceptional limited release beer starring a new pinup-inspired icon. This year, Green Flash is excited to debut Treasure Chest 2015, both on draft and in 22 oz. bottles.
About Green Flash Brewing Co:
Green Flash Brewing Co., is headquartered in San Diego, California, and was founded in 2002 by Mike and Lisa Hinkley. Brewmaster, Chuck Silva, leads brewing operations. Green Flash is an award-winning brewer of fine, hand-crafted ales, and specializes in brewing assertive and distinctive beers, such as the nationally acclaimed West Coast I.P.A.: an award-winning beer whose wide acceptance has helped define a category. Green Flash brews ten styles of beer regularly, on draft and in bottles as well as a growing lineup of seasonal and special offerings, including several barrel-aged beers, throughout the year. The brewery plans to open their 2nd full-scale brewing operation on the East Coast in Virginia Beach – scheduled to open in 2016.