Stone Brewing Co. Reports Strong Mid-Year Growth
“It makes sense that Craft Beer is growing during a time of recession. People are more focused on getting value for their money, and the character and quality of great craft beer represents a tremendous value for the dollar.”
-Greg Koch, CEO, Stone Brewing Co.
- Stone Brewing Co. revenue increased 30% and volume increased 24% in the first half of 2009.
- Stone Brewing Co. is on track to produce more than 100,000 barrels in 2009—more than a 20.5% increase over 2008.
- Stone Brewing Co. just purchased a $6.2 million, 57,509 square ft. building to allow for further expansion of brewing and distribution operations.
- Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens revenue increased 37% in the first half of 2009–an increase of over $800,000.
- Stone Distributing (the distributing arm of Stone Brewing Co. that covers the Southern California Counties of Los Angeles, Orange County, San Bernardino, Riverside, and San Diego) revenue increased 32%, volume increased 24%, and total points of distribution (customers) increased by 11% in the first half of 2009. All 18 of Stone Distributing’s supplier craft breweries grew in the first half of 2009.
- Stone Brewing Co. will soon be holding a job fair to fill up to 35 staff positions.
- Dollar growth from the craft beer movement increased 9% in the first half of 2009, and volume of craft beer sold increased 5% according to the Brewers Association.
“Boutique beers are the new cocktail as more money-conscious Americans choose cheaper high quality draft beers made by small local breweries over wine and spirits amid the country’s recession.” – Reuters
“At a time when many of the giant beer brands are declining, small and independent craft brewers are organically growing their share and slowly gaining shelf and restaurant menu space one glass of craft beer at a time.” – Paul Gatza, Director of the Brewers Association.
QUOTES ABOUT STONE:
“[Stone] has no interest in going mainstream if that means watering down the product. Koch focuses on producing quality beers without the corn syrup or preservatives found elsewhere on the shelf.” – Inc. Magazine
“[Stone] prides itself on powerfully bitter brews that would send Bud Light drinkers running for the hills…Stone’s growth is especially remarkable considering it does not advertise its products.” – Los Angeles Times
“Stone Brewing Company from San Diego is arguably the most notorious player on America’s exhilarating craft brewing scene…” – The Publican (United Kingdom)
“In the beer world…Stone’s creations are famous. Although the company has never advertised, its fame has spread. Its beers have been ranked among the best in the country, and even the world.” – San Diego Union-Tribune
“Not for the faint of heart, [Stone’s] bold brews have a strong and fast-growing fan base.” – Bon Appetit