Jester King Annonces SPON Blueberry & Pitaya + SPON Albarino & Blanc du Bois
(Austin, TX) – We’re very pleased to introduce two new beers in our SPON series — SPON Blueberry & Pitaya and SPON Albariño & Blanc du Bois. Our SPON series are 100% spontaneously fermented beers produced using the traditional method of making authentic Belgian Lambic. For these two beers, we refermented one with Texas blueberries and pitaya (a.k.a. dragonfruit) and one with Texas Albariño & Blanc du Bois grapes.
Both beers are a blend of two year old spontaneously fermented beer created using this method:
1) A turbid mash of Hill Country well water and Texas malted barley and raw wheat;
2) A four hour boil with hops aged for at least two years in our barn;
3) Overnight cooling and inoculation of the entire batch of wort in our coolship;
4) 100% spontaneous fermentation;
5) Two years of aging and maturation in oak puncheons;
7) Refermentation with fruit;
9) 100% refermentation and maturation of the beer in the serving vessel (kegs and bottles places on their sides) for several more months; and
10) No addition of any chemicals, preservatives, or artificial sweeteners at any point in the process.
Our inspiration and intent was to follow the traditional method of making authentic Belgian Lambic, but to do so with our own well water, local grain, aged hops, native yeast and bacteria, and Texas fruit, so as to create something entirely unique to our own environment in the Texas Hill Country.
SPON Blueberry & Pitaya is 5.7% alcohol by volume, 21 IBU, 3.3 pH, and has a finishing gravity of 1.002 (0.5 degrees Plato). It was packaged on February 2nd, 2017. Please note, there’s an inaccuracy on the front label. It says “blended on FEB 02 2017”, when this is actually the bottling date. SPON Albariño & Blanc du Bois is 6.7% alcohol by volume, 21 IBU, 3.4 pH, and also has a finishing gravity of 1.002 (0.5 degrees Plato). It was packaged on September 29th, 2016.
SPON Blueberry & Pitaya and SPON Albariño & Blanc du Bois will be released on Friday, June 30th when our tasting room opens at 4pm. Both beers will be available by the glass and in bottles to go. We have about 2,700 bottles (375ml/$25) of each beer for sale (5,400 bottles total). The bottle limit is three bottles of each beer (six bottles total) per customer per day. Aside from special events, each beer will only be available at Jester King.
Jeffrey Stuffings, Jester King