HopWatch 2019: Where to Find Pliny the Younger
San Francisco Beer Week kicked off over the weekend which means the 15th season Pliny the Younger is finally upon us. Many of our Russian River die-hards already know that the impressive new Russian River facility in Windsor, CA is now online, which means more retailers and store shelves have been graces with the iconic Vinnie Cilurzo’s beloved brews.
What does this influx of Russian River beer mean for Pliny the Younger? For starters, the expansion allowed for 350 barrels of Pliny the Younger to be brewed this year, more than double last year’s 160 barrels. This increase in capacity opens up the opportunity for wider distribution. While we are are unsure of what percentage will be shipped out, we do know that Pliny the Younger will see distribution in California, Oregon, Colorado, and Philadelphia towards the end of February. For the first time, California’s Central Coast will also see the Younger pop up. Both the Windsor, CA production facility and the original Santa Rosa brewpub have the 10.25% triple IPA flowing thru February 14 currently with the greater Bay Area and Northern California seeing glimpses of Pliny this week at various SF Beer Week events .
The Full Pint greatly appreciates any tips you submit in the comments below. As it’s early on in the Pliny season, we’ve listed some retailers who have been graced with the Younger in year’s past and we’ll update with confirmed events or tappings as we see them come in.
– SF Beer Week Opening Gala (Confirmed for February 1)
– The Bistro (Hayward): Confirmed for Double IPA Fest on 2/2.
– The Trappist (Oakland): Confirmed seen on tap on 2/7.
– Holy Water (San Francisco): Confirmed on 2/5.
– BeerCraft (Novato): Confirmed on 2/4.
– Ale Arsenal (San Carlos): Confirmed on 2/4.
– Old Sonoma Public House (Sonoma): Confirmed on 2/4.
– O’Brien’s Pub (San Diego): Three confirmed events. The first event is at 2pm on 2/9 (first come, first serve). The second event is at 5pm on 2/12. And lastly, on 4pm on 2/13 tickets will be available for the 100% Charity event on 2/23 which will benefit the Inner North Star PTSD Retreat Center so please try and support this worthy cause ($25 per ticket for a 10-ounce pour, limit 2 per person while supplies last).
– Trail House (Santa Rosa): Confirmed on 2/4.
– Boiler Maker (Campbell): Confirmed on 2/7.
– Taplands (Santa Clara): Confirmed on 2/7.
– Beachwood BBQ & Brewing (Seal Beach and Long Beach)
– Mini Bar (San Francisco)
– McGee’s Bar (Alameda)
– Lucky 13 (Alameda)
– Toronado (San Francisco): Confirmed on 2/4. Multiple kegs, still on tap as of 2/6 at 11:45am. Still seen on tap on 2/18.
– The Cooler (San Leandro)
– Beer Revolution (Oakdland)
– Oliver’s Market (Windsor, CA)
– Ben & Nick’s Bar & Grill (Oakland)
– Blue Palms Brewhouse (Hollywood)
– First Street Ale House (Livermore)
– 38 Degrees Ale House (Alhambra)
– Haven Gastropub (Orange)
– Bobby G’s Pizzeria (Berkley)
– Hamilton’s Tavern (San Diego): Confirmed on 2/18.
– Bar Crudo (San Francisco)
– Rosamunde Sausage Grill (San Francisco)
–The Hop Yard & Ale House (Pleasanton)
– The Monk’s Kettle (San Francisco)
– Pete’s Brass Rail & Car Wash (Danville)
– The Rose & Crown Pub (Palo Alto)
– City Beer Store (San Francisco) – Confirmed sighting on 2/5. Multiple kegs reported. Still seen on 2/18.
– Wine Affairs (San Jose)
– HopMonk Tavern (Sonoma)
– Mohawk Bend (Los Angeles): Confirmed on 2/17.
– Blind Lady Ale House (San Diego) – Confirmed pre-sale on 2/12 at 10am for a 2/13 tapping at 4:30pm. Link: https://plinyatblah2019.brownpapertickets.com/
– Tiger! Tiger! (San Diego) – Confirmed tickets pre-sale on 2/13 at 8pm for a 2/17 tapping at 11am. Link: https://plinyattiger2019.brownpapertickets.com/
– Tony’s Darts Away (Burbank): Confirmed second keg was on tap 2/17.
– The Surly Goat (West Hollywood)
– Lucky Baldwin’s Pub (Old Town Pasadena) – Confirmed event for 2/23.
– Lucky Baldwin’s Trappiste Pub (Pasadena) – Confirmed event for 2/24.
– Lucky Baldwin’s Delirium & Cafe (Sierra Madre) – Confirmed event for 3/2.
– The Bottle Room (Whittier)
– Naja’s Place (Redondo Beach)
– Lucky 13 (San Francisco)
– Haven Gastropub (Orange)
– Tustin Brewing Co. (Tustin): Confirmed on 2/17.
– Good Karma Artisan Ales (San Jose): Confirmed on 2/7.
– Pizza Port (Ocean Beach)
– Carneros Bistro & Wine Bar (Sonoma)
– University of Beer (Davis)
–Ladyface Ale Companie & Brasserie (Agoura Hills): Confirmed on 2/18 for Russian River Week.
– Hollingshead Deli (Orange): Confirmed on tap on 2/18.
– Mission Bowling Club (San Francisco)
– Pangea Bier Cafe (Sacramento)
– Fathom Bistro Bait & Tackle (San Diego)
– Congregation Ale House (Long Beach)
– Live Wire Bar (San Diego): Confirmed on 2/7.
– Pizza Port (Carlsbad)
– Slow Hand BBQ (Pleasant Hill)
– LowBrau (Sacramento): Confirmed on 2/18.
– St. John’s Bar & Grill (Sunnyvale)
– Father’s Office (Culver City)
– Father’s Office (Santa Monica)
– Amnesia (San Francisco): Confirmed on 2/7.
– Original Gravity Public House (San Jose): Confirmed on 2/7.
– The Hog’s Apothecary (Oakland): Confirmed on 2/7.
– ØL Beer Cafe & Bottle Shop (Walnut Creek): Confirmed on 2/7
– Smoking Pig BBQ (San Jose): Confirmed on 2/7.
– Diving Dog Brewhouse (Oakland): Confirmed on 2/7.
– Mikeller Bar (San Francisco): Confirmed on 2/7.
– Grape & Grain (San Mater): Confirmed on 2/18.
– The Local Peasant (Sherman Oaks): Confirmed on 2/18.
– Neighborhood (San Diego): Confirmed on 2/18.
– Pi Bar (San Francisco): Confirmed on 2/17.
– Encinitas Ale House (Encinitas): Confirmed on 2/17.
– The Hop Grenade Taproom & Bottleshop (Concord): Confirmed on 2/18.
– Paso Robles Brewing Co. & Pour House Tap Room (Paso Robles): Confirmed on 2/17.
– Capitol Hop Shop (Sacramento): Confirmed on 2/17.
– San Pedro Square Market Bar (San Jose): Confirmed on 2/17.
– Zeitgeist (San Francisco): Confirmed on 2/17.
– Haberdasher (San Jose): Confirmed on 2/17.
– Cato’s Ale House (Oakland): Confirmed on 2/17.
– * A reader commented about Eureka Burger but we cannot verify which of the many locations will receive it. Any helpful intel is appreciated.
– Falling Rock Tap House (Denver): 5 Confirmed events happening here. Doors at 11am and tapping at 1pm.
– Hops & Pie (Denver): Confirmed event on 2/19. Tickets available at 11:30am, beer taps at 1:30pm.
– Euclid Hall (Denver): Confirmed tapping for the week of 2/18.
– Walter’s 303 (Denver): Confirmed Russian River event on 2/14 with Younger plus other beers.
– Homegrown Tap & Dough (Arvada)
– Backcountry Pizza & Tap House (Boulder): Confirmed on 2/17.
– Reuben’s Bistro (Boulder)
– FreshCraft (Denver): Confirmed event on 2/15. Tickets available at 5pm for a 5:30 tapping. A portion of proceeds to charity plus additional Russian River brews.
– Parry’s Pizza (Highlands Ranch)
– Choice City Butcher & Deli (Fort Collins): Confirmed on 2/18.
– Parry’s Pizza (Northglenn): Confirmed event on 2/17 at 10am (12pm tapping).
– The Mayor of Old Town (Fort Collins): Confirmed on 2/18.
– Bull & Bush Pub & Brewery (Denver): Confirmed on 2/18.
– The Barley Tap & Tavern (Steamboat Springs): Confirmed on 2/17.
– Barrels & Bottles (Golden): Confirmed on 2/17.