Cape Ann Brewing Company Opens Brewpub in Gloucester
Cape Ann Brewing Company, an award-winning, family-owned, micro-brewery and the home of Fisherman’s Brew, in the Fort District of downtown Gloucester, announces the opening of its highly anticipated Brewpub.
The Brewpub, features the brewery’s award-winning craft beers brewed onsite, in a unique community gathering room featuring a bar shaped like the port side of a ship. Long, German-style wooden tables and a sitting area with several rocking chairs create a mellow, laid back atmosphere unlike anything else in the Cape Ann community. Classic board games, books, magazines, newspapers and bar games are available for leisurely enjoyment. Local artist renderings adorn the wood-paneled walls and the large picture windows look out onto St. Peter’s Square where the famed St. Peter’s Fiesta is held each June.
Cape Ann Brewing Company was founded in 2004. Head brewer and co-founder Jeremy Goldberg began his sojourn into professional brewing as a home-brewer and broker on Wall Street. After September 11, 2001, looking for a change Goldberg embarked upon a 38 brewery 40 day micro-brewery cross-country tour with a some of friends to film the documentary, American Beer. Upon return, Goldberg knew that the brewing industry was his future and 6 months later, along with his father Michael Goldberg and his brother in law, had begun preparation for the opening of the Cape Ann Brewing Company. In May of 2004, Cape Ann Brewing released it’s inaugural offering, Fisherman’s Brew, and has grown to have distribution in 9 states from Maine to Virginia.
“My family and I are immensely proud of the brews we produce and are delighted to be able to serve our customers on premise,” said Jeremy Goldberg, Head Brewer and co-founder of Cape Ann Brewing Company. “It was my father’s and my dream to start a micro-brewery together. Our Brewpub is family-friendly and not the typical watering hole. We don’t serve liquor at all, and only serve the beer is made right here.”
The Brewpub will also feature non-alcoholic beverages and pizza from Panorama Pizza in Gloucester. The menu will soon expand to include offerings from several local businesses including Panorama Pizza, Ned’s Groceria, and Sasquatch Smoked Fish, as well as an assortment of bar snacks.
Cape Ann Brewing offers a variety of craft beers at the brewery and local stores including:
- Fisherman’s Brew, the company’s flagship offering is an American Amber Lager.
- Fisherman’s IPA, an Indian Pale Ale
- Fisherman’s Ale, a Kolsch style ale which received the gold medal at the Great International Beer Festival in the fall of 2007
- Fisherman’s Pumpkin Stout, the autumn offering, which was awarded the 2007 New England Microbrew Championship at the 2007 Lowell Ribs-‘N-Brews festival
- Fisherman’s Navigator, a German style Doppel-bock offered during the Winter season
- Fisherman’s Bavarian Wheat, the Spring/Summer offering, a Hefeweizen
Available only on draft at the Brewpub when available:
- Fisherman’s Tea Party, a barley wine made with three different types of tea that were amongst those dumped during the Boston Tea Party
- Fisherman’s Greenhorn Double-IPA, a high alcohol amply hopped IPA, not for the faint of heart
- Fisherman’s Dunkelweiss, a dark German wheat beer
Cape Ann Brewing Company
Founded in 2004, Cape Ann Brewing Company is an award-winning, family-owned, micro-brewery in the heart of the historic seaport in downtown Gloucester in Cape Ann. The bold flavors and characters of the Fisherman’s line of beer reflects the spirit and courage of the sailors of the North Atlantic fishing fleet, and is the same passion that drives what we do. Fisherman’s is a tribute to hard work, and a salute to friendships that endure. Cape Ann Brewing continues it’s support of the Northeast Seafood Coalition, a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving fishing communities, protecting fishery resources and feeding the world, and urges people to get involved in aiding our local fishermen.