Brewery will expand production capacity with east coast facility
Fort Collins, CO, – New Belgium Brewing announced today that Asheville, NC has been selected as the new location for a second brewery. The 400,000-barrel brewery and packaging facility will provide New Belgium with additional capacity allowing the Colorado-based brewer to expand into new areas of distribution. Upon completion in 2015, the facility will initially create 50 new jobs in the Asheville area with more than 100 positions expected at full buildout.
“After several years of searching, we are incredibly excited to have landed in Asheville,” said Kim Jordan, CEO and co-founder of New Belgium. “From the deep sense of community to the rich natural environment and the opportunity to revitalize a brownfield site near a vibrant downtown, Asheville has everything we’ve been looking for in a location for our second brewery.”
The 17.5-acre site located in the heart of the River Arts District will accommodate the 150,000 sq. ft. facility. The brewery will feature a 200-barrel brewing system, a tasting facility, and a process wastewater treatment center on-site. Tours will be available to the public. Total cost projections are over $100 million.
“Today’s announcement by New Belgium will enhance the craft brewery cluster that is growing in North Carolina,” said Gov. Bev Perdue. “The jobs and investment the company is committing will be a major boon for the region and for the state.”
Construction is expected to begin in early 2013 with beer rolling off the line in early 2015.
New Belgium Asheville Brewery Facts
Location of Brewery: The brewery will be built on Craven St. between the Craven St. and Haywood Rd. bridges in the heart of the vibrant River Arts District. This area is a revitalized commercial warehouse district lined with restaurants, bars, retail and more than 150 artists and galleries of high-quality fine arts and crafts. It’s the gateway to downtown Ashevill, whic is 0.7 miles away.
- Acres Purchased for Site: 17.5
- Projected Size of Brewery: 150,000 sq. ft.
- Elements of Brewery: Tasting room, brewery tours, potential rooftop beer garden
- Brewing Capacity: 400,000 barrels per year at opening with room to grow
- Projected Number of Co-Workers: Opening with 50+, should grow to more than 100 co-workers by adding approximately 20 per year
- Projected Avg. Salary of Co-Workers: $50,000 plus benefits
- Anticipated Groundbreaking Date: First quarter of 2013
- Anticipated Opening Date: First quarter of 2015
- Anticipated Investment Into Brewery: More than $100 million
- Sustainable Elements of the Brewery: Pursing LEED certification, environmentally conscious construction, industry-leading water and energy conservation, on-site wastewater treatment system, storm water management
About New Belgium Brewing Company
New Belgium Brewing Company, makers of Fat Tire Amber Ale and a host of Belgian-inspired beers, began operations in a tiny Fort Collins basement in 1991. Today, the third largest craft brewer in the U.S., New Belgium produces nine year-round beers; Fat Tire Amber Ale, Ranger IPA, Belgo IPA, Sunshine Wheat, Blue Paddle Pilsner, 1554 Black Ale, Abbey, Mothership Wit and Trippel, as well as a host of seasonal releases. In addition to producing world-class beers, New Belgium takes pride in being a responsible corporate role model with progressive programs such as employee ownership, open book management and a commitment to environmental stewardship.