Four Brewers | The Saison Showdown, Part 1
Season 2, Episode 14 – Here it is, folks! Part 1 of The Four Brewers Saison Showdown!
Hey everybody! We’re back with another showdown of whalez and whatnot, but this time, it’s a style of ale known as saison! We chose 16 saisons from around the world (that we could acquire), and ranked them in order of the average rankings of Rate Beer and Beer Advocate combined. Who will be the big winner? Well, if you really want to know, like, RIGHT NOW, you can listen to the first minute of the show where we tell you what the randomly served beers were, which will allow you to know which beers we were talking about as they were randomly served to us, you can check out the scoring sheet we used for the showdown, or you can checkout the episode 14 show outline. If you want to wait until part 2, which will be released next week, then skip the first minute of the show and ignore everything else we just mentioned. It’s up to you, dawg!
Saison is a very diverse style of beer, and it’s a pretty old style as well. It tends to have diverse interpretations among brewers and consumers, and we tried to touch on the different styles of saison that are currently available on the market that we could reasonable acquire.
In order of the combined average rankings of both Rate Beer and Beer Advocate, the beers we tasted on the show are as follows:
· Anchorage Brewing Company – Love Buzz
· Boulevard Brewing Co. – Saison-Brett
· Brasserie Fantôme – Saison
· Logsdon Farmhouse Ales – Seizoen Bretta
· Brasserie Dupont – Avec Les Bons Voeux
· Brasserie Dupont – Saison Dupont
· Boulevard Brewing Co. – Tank 7
· Grassroots Brewing – Arctic Saison
· Brewery Ommegang – Hennepin
· The Bruery – Saison Rue
· Prairie Artisan Ales – Prairie Ale
· Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project – Surette
· The Lost Abbey – Carnevale
· Firestone Walker Brewing Company – Opal
· Monkish Brewing Co. – Selah
· Propolis Brewing – Beltane
There are three awesome individuals that helped us with this massive blind tasting; Sara Kidd, “Dr.” Zack Alexander, and Bob Vreeland. We couldn’t have done this show in such an orderly and swift manner without the help of these pillars of podcast production. Our gratitude is extended to them for all of time.
BREW THE SHIT OUT OF IT.
Thumb us up on Facebook:
Follow us on Twitter:
Got a question? Feedback? Email us:
feedback at fourbrewers dot com.