Breaking News – Avery and Mountain Sun to Collaborate
TFP: Avery Brewing quietly, and possibly by mistake posted a little somethin’ something’ on Facebook, to the tune of “Avery is collaborating on a Black Saison with our bros from Mountain Sun….lots of carafa 3, belgian aromatic and Tasmanian Pepper Berries!!” last week.
This definitely piqued our interest, so we reached out to Avery Brewing. They were taken’ aback that this info made it’s way to Facebook, but none the less, they provided us exclusive information on an upcoming Black Saison made by Avery Brewing and Mountain Sun Pub and Brewery from Boulder Colorado.
The lowdown from Avery Brewing:
- The style: Black Saison
- 27 SRM – Pilsner base malt, Red Wheat, Aromatic, Acidulated Malt, Carafa III, Special B
- 27 IBU with a hefty dose of Amarillo at the end of boil
- No significance of the two 27 figures – just came out that way
- Currently debating dry-hopping with Amarillo, have to taste it when done fermenting
- Spiced with Tasmanian Pepper Berries (0.75lbs per 30 BBL)
- OG 1081 and 1015ish terminal (right around 9%abv)
- DuPont yeast strain for 75% of fermentation
- Another SECRET strain added for last 25% of attenuation (no, not Bretts)
- About 4 more days of fermentation left (As of press)
The beer was formulated over the course of a few pints in the Avery Tasting Room by all the Mt. Sun and Avery brewers. All ideas were written down and then chatted about. Final recipe was written based on a 100% group consensus.
Both Avery and Mt. Sun shifted their production calendars a bit so that every brewer on both staffs could enjoy brewing the beer together. Again, many more beers were drank.
The only thing we don’t have is a name.