2016 Foothills Brewing Barrel Aged Sexual Chocolate Release Details
(Winston-Salem, NC) – Bourbon Barrel Sexual Chocolate time is here – earlier in the year than ever before. This year, for the first time, we’re releasing this NC Beer rarity in the spring, on Saturday May 21. We received a fresh batch of bourbon barrels late last year and, not wanting to wait to fill them, brewed a special batch of Sexual Chocolate just for barrel aging. And they’re ready.
It’s created sort of a perfect storm for this most sought-after of beers; since we weren’t pulling a percentage of the overall yield for barrel aging, like we normally do, there’s a little more available this year than there has ever been – so much so we are upping the bottle limit for this year.
So if you’ve ever thought about coming to Sexual Chocolate Release, this is the year to do it. The release of this beer is one of the biggest parties on the NC craft beer scene. For those who’ve never come, and as a refresher for you veterans, here’s a few guidelines to having the best, um, Sexual experience:
– We always throw a Bottle Share Pre-Release Party on the Friday night before the Saturday event. On May 20th beginning at 7:00 pm-ish, we’ll open up the brewery in back of our brewpub at 638 West 4th Street in Winston-Salem for anyone who wants to come and hang out. Chef Shane puts out a terrific (complimentary) spread of appetizers. Price of admission is a bottle or two (or three or four) of something rare, unique or coveted in the craft beer world. Interpretation of that description is up to you; but show up with a 6-pack of Shock Top and mocking is sure to ensue.
– The line to buy bombers (22-oz. bottles) starts on the sidewalk outside the front door of the pub. You’re welcome to queue up any time after we close at 2:00 am the previous evening. Hey, for once you don’t have to actually go home at closing time.
– City police officers will be on hand overnight. This will no doubt prove unnecessary, since we all know what a well-behaved and chill crowd craft beer drinkers are. #lookingatyou
– There’s a rumor that those nice officers will let you enjoy your own refreshments until daylight. We can neither confirm nor deny . . . we will, however, refer you to the aforementioned good behavior.
– There will be portable restroom facilities in the back parking lot. You’re welcome. Around 7:00 am our way-too-cheerful-for-this-early-on-a-Saturday staff will begin distributing numbered wristbands that denote your place in line. (Captain Obvious says make sure you have your ID with you.)
– The pub opens at 8:00 am. BBA Sexual Chocolate will be tapped and waiting. We’ll also have breakfast available for purchase. Actual food, not beer. Not judging, just saying.
– Bottle sales commence at 9:00 am. You’ll be summoned by your wristband number in groups of 50. Bottles are $20 each, limit 12 per person. Any questions about that? Then the answer is 20 and 12. And yes, that is a one-time increase on the bottle limit, thanks to our terrific yield this year. We take all forms of payment — cash, credit cards, first born . . .
– IMPORTANT: Bottles and draft both tend to move quickly. Please plan accordingly. If you show up and complain bitterly that there’s none left, you will only create bad karma for yourself. That and the staff will be doing impressions of you until next year’s release. Also, please do not ask us on Facebook or Twitter what time you should get there to get bottles. WE DON’T KNOW. Every year is different.
– ALSO IMPORTANT: if you’re getting your limit, then we’ll have a box for your beer. If not, we will not have a lot of extra boxes or bags – that would uncomfortably expand our carbon footprint. Please bring something to safely cart away your newly purchased liquid treasures. How big? About (insert number you’re buying) bottles big.
– In the history of mankind, there have never been growler fills of BBA Sexual Chocolate. That trend will continue.
– We’ll have some nifty Sexual Chocolate Teku glasses for sale, $15 each. No limit. Buy a case if you want.
Stay up to date on all the latest leading up to the event by following us on Twitter and Facebook. Also check back to this blog, we’ll update it frequently with new info. In fact I just added this sentence.
Hope to see you there!